Monday, May 4, 2009

Twin Beds and Anniversaries

So, it's been a very, very long time since my last post. Nothing too greatly exciting has been going down here lately, just the daily grind, as usual. One big step has happened, though. The big E is FINALLY sleeping in his own bed after 3 very long years of us having a "family bed." I must say, the first couple of months of Ethan's life, him sleeping in our bed was a godsend to me because I could just breastfeed and go back to sleep. Also, itty bitty babies don't move around so much. 2 year olds move a lot around. 3 year olds can knock your jaw out of place with flying limbs in their sleep! The final straw came when John went to sleep on the couch last week because Ethan was moving around so much. The next night, I took it into my hands and laid down the law (I also bribed with Dollar Tree plastic bugs!) And, surprisingly, it worked out pretty well! He, of course, got up a couple hundred times to run around the living room, because isn't that what all normal kids to before bed everynight? Then, he wore himself out, and I didn't hear noises from his room. He was ASLEEP! And, he was super happy receiving his "bugs."

So...we had one of those stellar toddler racecar beds that are super comfortable to sleep on the trunk if you are not taller than 3 feet. My grandma graciously offered to buy Ethan a twin size bed because she didn't like him "being so close to the ground; it's too cold." I just liked the idea because if we have to sleep with him (stormy nights!) we actually fit on the bed. We head to Nebraska and pick out a nice, basic twin size bed, and I dress it up with Lightning McQueen bedspread and sheets. When our precious child walked in to his room to see his surprise, he looked around his room like he didn't even see it. Really? You can't see that your bed has grown? Anyway. Here he was looking like it was going to be a great night!


Don't let that innocent smile fool you. He FREAKED out about this new bed. I don't know how moving from a small cramped bed that has a plastic mattress to a taller, cushy matressed bed would make your world crumble, but his did. I ended up sleeping with him this first twin bed night, because John is on mornings this week. Tonight, we shall see how bedtime unfolds. And hopefully, the promise of some Dollar Tree plastic bugs will win over! Cross your fingers.

John and I also celebrated 6 years of wedded bliss on the Plaza at the Best Western (only the classiest joints will do for us.) We ate at the Melting Pot fondue restaurant. We have ate there 1 time before; we now both agree that we like the cheese fondue appetizer and the chocolate fondue dessert. The "dinner" portion of small chunks of meat that you boil? in the pot is just not too appetizing. Their is something about dipping filet minion in a boiling fondue pot of grease that doesn't appeal to the appetite. But the had some wonderful $400,000 dollar margaritas, so that makes up for everything.


Probably the only picture that turned out halfway decent, the server snapped it of us. She took pity on us when she saw us trying to take pics from the back of the booth, as featured below.
This was a self-portrait with the camera sitting on the back of our booth. (I'm pretty fond of the timer feature on our camera!) Luckily they sat us at the very back of the restaurant in the corner of the room. It was intimate; we weren't around anyone else!


And this one, probably my favorite picture of the night. As most of you know, my child does what I affectionately dub the "stroke face" when he is in distress or just in deep thought (or taking yearly family portraits, whatever.) So, I have now got a shot of his father doing the exact same face. And here I thought I was the one that passed this clever trait on to him!

So, there you have it. A couple of milestones in our little Northweather family. Perhaps I can try to post at least once a month now instead of quarterly!

No comments:

Post a Comment