Thursday, February 5, 2009

He's the one they call Dr. No Pull!

So, I went to get my wisdom teeth pulled Tuesday, fully expecting to be stuffed with gauze and pumped up with Vicoden (yes!) I arranged for my dad to watch Ethan, and my mom drove me because I would be groggy. I filled out insurance paperwork at the office, I was READY!

They take my ex-ray, I hop in the dental chair, get my "bib" on and the oral surgeon walks in and I ask him if he thinks all of my wisdom teeth need pulled or just the cavitied one. He looked for a moment at my large ex-ray staring at us on the flat screen tv in the room, and said he was concerned that if he pulled the bottom two, since I was older and not a teenager, that he could hit a nerve since my teeth were fully grown in, and it could paralyze my lips for who knows how much time, or maybe not at all (and we all know if I can't talk, we have some very serious issues!!) Wow, ok. Well, I'm feeling a little less confident at this point. So then I ask if we could just pull the cavitied wisdom tooth that I came in for originally anyway. He asked me which tooth it was! I'm not the dentist, dude, and you have my ex-ray staring you in the face! You can't find a cavity??? Anyhoo, he gets his little dental mouth mirror out and looks around my mouth and says, "well, I guess it could be the top right one that has a little decay on it, but nothing serious." Are you kidding me? Is this guy talking me out of making insurance money or what?


So he asks me if I want to get them pulled because they are hurting. They aren't, my regular dentist has just been on my butt for the last 4 years to do so. He said all dentists are like this, and that I don't have to do anything I don't want to. I just sat there; what am I supposed to say? So he says, "if they start hurting, you know where I am and we can pull them easily. You're a bright and intelligent girl, and I think you know the right thing to do." He then proceeds to pat me on the shoulder and walk out of the room!


The nurse looks at me and says, "what are you thinking?" I said, "I truly don't know. I expected to sit in this chair, get teeth yanked, and go home drugged out. I'm so confused, but I think I don't want to do this anymore!" She pulls my little "bib" off of me and walks me to the waiting room where my mom goes, "did you have 1 pulled? no. Did you have all of them pulled? no. Did you have any pulled?" I then proceeded to tell my mom let's just get the heck out of here and I would explain on the ride home. We then went to Sonic where I pigged out since I hadn't ate or drank anything that afternoon, and pondered what had just happened.


So, I still have my wisdom teeth. According to the doc (who's name has been kept private to protect the innocent) said I might live with them forever without any problems. So that is what I'm going to do! All hail wisdom teeth!


And since there are no pics for this blog, I'll just add one of me and Bub on our awesome trip to Cozumel, pre-Ethan, wisdom teeth and all!


No comments:

Post a Comment